When it comes time to look for a new job here is a few questions that will be good to find out.
Good characteristics in a new company:
- Ability to offer dependability and stability to an employee looking for a place to stay for the long term.
- Financially stable.
- What software and/or tools are used?
- What version control system is used?
- What kind of project manangement structure is used and what tools are used to maintain it?
- How do you ensure the quality of your products?
- How big is the team?
- What skill levels are people at?
- Where would you fit into the team?
- What was the turnover in your team and company in the last year? Why did people leave?
- How often and for what reasons is a person expected to work overtime?
- What kind of development environment does the company have? Flexible, ridgid, laid back, etc.
- Will my personal work practices be acceptable or will I be expected to conform to the rest of the team?
- What does the team do for learning new skills? Training? Education? Shows? Conferences?
- What was the last training that the company invested in for their developers?
- How is conflict between developers handled?
- How is conflict between developers and business users handled?
- Ask the questions and find out what they will admit to.
- If you can find an employee or former employee ask them to take the Joel test for the company.