I am trying to display a single word inside a larger text area as bold. (Silly requirements.) I have not been able to figure out if there is a way to do this within a standard express. So far all my research has turned up is that I should try to turn markup on for that text box and use HTML markup. Although, even that only has a limited set of supported tags.
First I needed to turn markup on for the textbox. Here are the instructions I found on this asp.net forum answer.
- If the Toolbox is not visible, click Toolbox on the View menu.
- Double-click or drag a Textbox report item to the design surface.
- Drag a field from your dataset into the text box. A placeholder is created for your field.
- Right-click the placeholder (<>), and then click Placeholder Properties.
- On the General tab, verify that the Value box contains an expression that evaluates to the field you dropped in step 3.
- Click HTML – Interpret HTML tags as styles. This causes the field to be evaluated as HTML.
- Click OK.
To manually change it without using the UI tools add the tag “HTML” into the xml.
Finally, I rewrote the text in the textbox to be formatted with html instead of the rdlc formatting. It was a pain to do but in the end will be more flexible and maintainable.